qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Compile QEMU for android

From: Spartacus Rex
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Compile QEMU for android
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:36:58 +0000

OK.

Is there a version that is known to work..? On arm.

Spartacus

On Jan 18, 2012 10:33 PM, "Peter Maydell" <address@hidden> wrote:
On 18 January 2012 15:41, Spartacus Rex <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am trying to get a version of qemu to compile for Android.
>
> Then I would like to boot debian-armel.. or even a minimal arm buildroot fs.
>
> I have so far tried compiling with NDK toolchain and codesourcery.
>
> You can build them, but either they seg-fault when you run them on Android
> or the scsi stuff seems wrong when you boot.. crashes.. sorry don't know
> more about that.

This is excessively vague. Quoting error messages is usually a better
idea than handwaving about crashes.

There's an Android bug where (at least for some gcc versions) the
__builtin___clear_cache() function doesn't work. You might like to
try the test in this Android bug report:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1803
to see if it still affects your compiler. (It's possible it's one of
those bugs that was valid 3 years ago and has since been fixed but
nobody closed the bug report.)

> I am obviously doing something wrong..
>
> Is there anybody who can help - tell me how - point me in the right
> direction - to compiling a stable version of qemu-system-arm for Android ?

The other thing to note is that QEMU 1.0 was noted in the release notes
as not working on ARM hosts. Some but not all of this has been fixed
since then.

Bottom line: you can probably get this going if you're prepared
to investigate and fix some issues. If you're hoping that somebody
will have a simple recipe you can follow, I suspect you're out of
luck :-(

-- PMM