qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] Error booting from USB Storage Device in QEMU

From: Kevin O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] Error booting from USB Storage Device in QEMU-KVM GIT MASTER
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 20:57:11 -0500

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 06:57:59AM -0600, Dyweni - Qemu-Devel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am unable to boot KVM using a usb flash drive. I'm using QEMU-KVM
> built
> from GIT MASTER as of this morning.
>

> Here's my QEMU-KVM startup options:
>
>  qemu-system-x86_64 \
>       -curses \
>       -m 512 \
>       -snapshot \
>       -device piix3-usb-uhci \
>       -drive id=usbflash,file=flash.img,if=none,boot=on,cache=writeback \
>       -device usb-storage,drive=usbflash \
>       -net nic,macaddr=$(getmacpublic),vlan=0 -net
> tap,vlan=0,ifname=$publictap,script=no \
>       -net nic,macaddr=$(getmacprivate),vlan=1 -net
> tap,vlan=1,ifname=$privatetap,script=no \
>       $*

I tried a modifed version of the above, and it worked fine for me.

qemu-system-x86_64 -snapshot -L test -device piix3-usb-uhci -drive
id=usbflash,file=dos-drivec-new,if=none,cache=writeback -device
usb-storage,drive=usbflash -chardev stdio,id=seabios -device
isa-debugcon,iobase=0x402,chardev=seabios

What version of qemu are you using?  There are a few known quirks in
the seabios code that were fixed recently, but I did not think they
impacted the qemu emulation.

-Kevin