qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Failed to use gdb with qemu 15.1 (with and without kvm

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Failed to use gdb with qemu 15.1 (with and without kvm support)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:29:11 +0100

hello,

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Max Filippov <address@hidden> wrote:
>> When stopping the guest with -S before it booted, gdb will interrupt it
>> while it is still in 16-bit real mode. Later on, when Linux runs, the
>> guest is in 64-bit protected mode. gdb is not prepared for such a
>> switch. All you can do:
>
> Try
>
> set arch i386:x86-64
>
> in the GDB prompt.

So I started qemu with '-s -S' and connect  gdb to qemu then put the
breakpoint and 'continue'.

gdb stops to the breakpoint and I get: "Remote 'g' packet reply is too
long: feffffff........."

A this point I do "set arch i386:x86-64" but after :

 $ bt
 Target is executing.

I've no idea why gdb think that the target is running. In the qemu's
monitor, doing "info status" reports that the VM is paused.

Thanks
--
Francis