qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE

From: Gerhard Wiesinger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 21:30:57 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 05:17:45PM +0200, Gleb Natapov wrote:
No - the option rom will always be executed.  The purpose of placing
it in the BCV list is to order its execution with respect to other
BCVs so that if the legacy option rom hooks int13 it will do so after
other drives have had a chance.

Should a legacy rom do direct boot or hook int19 it will take priority
over everything else - irrespective of seabios priorities or what the
user selects in the boot menu.  This lack of control is what spawned
the whole PNP rom stuff.

If
boot_add_bcv() will unconditionally give HD boot priority to such bcv it
will have higher priority than CD or pxe boot option, no?

As above, the BCV priorities are only relevant when compared to the
priority of other BCVs.  So, no - it should have no impact on CD/PXE.

As I mentioned in my previous post, SeaBIOS does currently prioritizes
hard drive booting when the user selects "Legacy option rom" from the
boot menu - it's unclear if this is the right thing to do.

To be honest, this wasn't all that clear to me yesterday - I had to
think on it a bit.  This legacy boot stuff is crazy.

Thanx for applying the patch/adding SCSI boot order feature to Seabios and supporting the LSI option ROM. (For the records: 88e745e11242bbe13fa4f22093029ccf04087472 and
1e15725c92858a0cb1dd5c76bd44af1fec09fee3)

I think we have added even more compliance to QEMU/KVM and Seabios regarding option ROMs and SCSI boot order support.

Sometimes lateral thinking is necessary to achieve good results :-)

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
http://www.wiesinger.com/