qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] libqemu for use in parallel-language based simulator

From: Sean Halle
Subject: [Qemu-devel] libqemu for use in parallel-language based simulator
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 18:29:58 -0800

Hi,

We’re trying to use QEMU as a library in our research. We have created a parallel language for simulating parallel activities. The language controls the suspension and re-animation of threads it creates, in such a way that physical memory contents remains consistent with the order of events in simulation time.

We want to simulate processors, using QEMU as their behavior. This means the language has to control suspending QEMU and re-animating it. Which works fine if QEMU is called as a library, in one of the language’s threads.

Libvirt won't work ­ our language doesn’t have control over OS threads ­ and the overhead of OS threads is around 50x higher than our language, even more on larger machines (We just submitted a paper measuring the difference).

libqemu appears to be the heart of what we need. Just the core functionality of a processor's instruction-set. We will need a few thousand or so separate processor-states, similar to how COREMU has multiple processor states. Searches for other tools that use libqemu this way haven't yielded results.. We're just in the planning stages of adding QEMU.. any help on problems we're likely to encounter, or places that others may have used libqemu by itself, will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Sean