qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Restore consistent formatting

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Restore consistent formatting
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 16:36:00 +0100

Am 08.02.2012 16:23, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> On 02/08/2012 09:04 AM, malc wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012, Andreas F?rber wrote:
>>
>>> Arbitrarily reformatting your files is not okay. If you want a different
>>> formatting, you need to fix checkpatch.pl first to not error on that
>>> formatting in your files.
>>
>> It was always formatter like this (internally consistent), then others
>> added code which made it not so.
>
> We do have a mixed style in the audio layer.  I'm not happy about that
> but I also feel strongly that going through and doing a reformat is not
> a worthwhile exercise.
>
> I can also understand the desire to keep things consistent.  But patches
> should always go to the mailing list.  I certainly would have acked such
> a patch FWIW.
>
> I think people get a bit too excited about coding style.  There are much
> more important things to worry about in life than the number of spaces
> before a parenthesis :-)

This is not about whether or not we put a space somewhere.

It's about reviewers and SubmitAPatch telling people to run
checkpatch.pl on patches and checkpatch.pl reporting this as an ERROR,
not a WARNING. So if you follow Stefan's instructions on running the
script as a commit hook (which is the only sane way to run it when
handling lots of patches) you can't commit a patch or your local changes
when there are ERRORs.

I just spent half the night trying to find out why checkpatch.pl reports
CPUX86State *env, CPUYState *env, CPyState *env as ERRORs but not
CPUState *env. I did not succeed in really understanding it.

So either we need to all stop using and telling to use checkpatch.pl or
someone needs to fix it.

Andreas