qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for multiboot images in elf64 (EM_X86_64) forma

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for multiboot images in elf64 (EM_X86_64) format
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 16:01:50 +0000

> > "objcopy -I elf64-x86-64 -O elf32-i386 64.elf 32.elf" worked for me.
> > Relocations get a bit confused, but you shouldn't have relocations in
> > your multiboot images to start with.
>
> Why no relocations? Isn't exactly that the advantage of building an elf
> image, that you can build a relocatable image?

In this context I'd say no.  The advantage of an ELF image is that it allows
you to specify the entry point and load address. It also allows you to have
multiple discontiguous data sections, which is often helpful.

If you want to relocate images you need a dynamic loader capable of doing that
relocation.  The qemu loader is about the dumbest static loader possible.

Paul