qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-trivial] [TRIVIAL] sas_ss_flags bug for powerpc

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-trivial] [TRIVIAL] sas_ss_flags bug for powerpc
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:52:35 +0000

> Changes which require knowledge of a specific device model are often not
> trivial to anyone who hasn't studied the specification.  So if the patch
> requires background knowledge of ppc ABI, hardware registers, etc then
> it's usually best sent to relevant subsystem maintainer (see
> ./MAINTAINERS).

I agree.

IMO It's important to distinguich between trivial patches, and simple patches.
A trivial patch is one that can reasonably be approved by anyone.
If domain specific knowledge, or familiarity with particular code is required
then a change is no longer trivial.  Even if it's a one-line change and the
right answer is "obvious" to the relevant maintainer.

> Basically I draw the line when it requires me too do too much background
> readying to be able to review the patch! ;

From what I've seen you're doing a fairly good job at bouncing things back
when they aren't appropriate.

Paul