qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to follow a child process created in the guest OS?

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to follow a child process created in the guest OS?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:49:23 +0000

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Wei Yang <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2012/2/11 malc <address@hidden>:

> Could the Qemu gdbstub debug a user space process?

What people have been trying to explain is that, yes, gdbstub can
debug user space processes but not in an easy way.  It's like using a
bicycle to travel from Paris to Beijing - it takes a lot of time and
effort, you may want to catch a plane instead.

The QEMU gdbstub is a hardware-level debugger.  It shows you what the
CPU is doing.  It does not know about processes.  Of course, if *you*
understand how processes are implemented in this operating systems,
*you* could do all the process-level debugging yourself without the
help of the debugger.

Stefan