qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] slirp-related crash

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] slirp-related crash
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 08:22:37 +0000

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 08:35:45PM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2012-02-13 16:27, Zhi Yong Wu wrote:
> I'm inclined to suggest a slirp rewrite (base support, not all features
> at once) as a GSOC project. QEMU really deserves something better.

A talented student could pull it off, especially if integrating lwip or
uip instead of writing from scratch.  It would be important to have a
list of requirements and clear plan so that if they are unable to
complete it fully, we still have a basic but working implementation to
build on.

But it's a lot of work to make it feature-complete and comparable to
slirp.

Current feature set:

 * UDPv4 NAT
 * TCPv4 NAT
 * ICMP for virtual interfaces (host, DNS, SAMBA)
 * DNS integration
 * DHCP integration
 * TFTP integration
 * UDPv4 port forwarding