qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] slirp-related crash

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] slirp-related crash
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:14:14 +0100

On 2012-02-14 09:22, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 08:35:45PM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> On 2012-02-13 16:27, Zhi Yong Wu wrote:
>> I'm inclined to suggest a slirp rewrite (base support, not all features
>> at once) as a GSOC project. QEMU really deserves something better.
>
> A talented student could pull it off, especially if integrating lwip or
> uip instead of writing from scratch.  It would be important to have a
> list of requirements and clear plan so that if they are unable to
> complete it fully, we still have a basic but working implementation to
> build on.

Yep.

> But it's a lot of work to make it feature-complete and comparable to
> slirp.
>
> Current feature set:
>
>  * UDPv4 NAT
>  * TCPv4 NAT
>  * ICMP for virtual interfaces (host, DNS, SAMBA)

...also for routed hosts (on Linux 3.0+)

>  * DNS integration
>  * DHCP integration
>  * TFTP integration

/me wonders if dnsmasq could be of some help. I don't think you can
attach it already to something else than a network interface. But maybe
it could be extended to run against a channel provided by some slirp 2.0.

>  * UDPv4 port forwarding
>  * TCPv4 port forwarding

Including forwarding from the guest to host-side chardev backends.

>  * SAMBA integration

And all this (almost) fully configurable.

Yes, it's a lot of stuff, much more than even a talented student could
complete in a single GSOC. I'll try to specify a reasonable, possibly
scalable task.

Jan