qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 7/7] qxl: add allocator

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 7/7] qxl: add allocator
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:18:19 +0100

  Hi,

> I'll send a series that works with vnc+spice and sdl+spice (didn't test
> sdl+vnc+spice), and screendumps at the same time.
>

>> Setting the QEMU_ALLOCATED_FLAG flag sounds hackish too.

QEMU_ALLOCATED_FLAG is just a flag which is used by the
defaultallocator_free_displaysurface function to figure whenever the
displaysurface memory was allocated by qemu_alloc_display or not.

I think vga.c shouldn't look at it in the first place, and faking it
because vga.c looks at it is even worse.

I'm also not sure it is the right approach to to have qxl register a
display allocator in the first place.  The only other place doing this
is sdl, which is a user interface.  None of the gfx card emulations in
the tree do that ...

> Actually I think the right thing is to move/copy the 24bit->32bit convertion
> from vga.c to pflib.c, what do you think?

Agree, although that easily gets a patch series of its own when you
collect optimized format conversion functions to move them over to pflib ...

BTW: qxl insisting on a shared displaysurface isn't very clean too, it
better should be able to fallback to just copying/converting for the
non-shared case.

cheers,
  Gerd