qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging qemu-iotests into qemu.git?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging qemu-iotests into qemu.git?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:34:09 -0600

On 02/20/2012 10:42 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
Am 16.02.2012 21:53, schrieb Christoph Hellwig:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 04:01:58PM +0100, Kevin Wolf wrote:
Hi Christoph,

I just talked to Stefan about our testing, both regarding the block
layer and qemu in general, and we came to the conclusion that it would
probably make sense to merge qemu-iotests into qemu.git.

The immediate benefit would be that we could include some short-running
tests into 'make check'. Long-term we would profit from being in the
same tests/ directory as all future tests for other qemu subsystems, so
we could probably share quite some of the framework code. (We were
initially talking about image streaming tests, which need a real VM
instead of just qemu-img/io and some monitor interaction - it's easy to
imagine similar cases)

What do you think?

I'm fine with doing that.

Anthony, how would we merge this best?

I can rewrite the history of qemu-iotests to move everything into a
tests/qemu-iotests/ directory and rewrite the subject lines of all
commits to include "qemu-iotests" (actually I have just tried it out
locally, so this part is done). We could then just pull from this
temporary repository and keep all of the existing git history.

I would send a pull request then without reposting all the patches in
the history of qemu-iotests as some of them are pretty big.

Would that work for you? Should I add a Signed-off-by to each patch for
rewriting the history or would it be okay with Christoph's existing SoB?

Just Christoph's SoB is fine as long as every commit has a SoB. I think rewriting the history plus a pull would be a good approach.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Kevin