qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [offtopic] Sparc Softmmu

From: P. Wilhelm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [offtopic] Sparc Softmmu
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:47:21 -0500

We use the old Solaris/Sparc in a medical device we produce where I work. Since we can't get new Sparc hardware any longer (many countries no longer accept "refurbished" devices - so we can't sell this product to them when we use refurbish IT parts) that is reasonable cost for our application, we need to find a way to continue to produce our product. The application is moderately complicated and will take some effort/time to port to another OS / processor. I was just evaluating the possibility of using an emulated Sparc machine to replace the Solaris box. The thought behind using Qemu was that we can reduce hardware obsolescence issues in the future with this layer of abstraction. Conceivably, future hardware changes would be easier to do with less regulatory overhead. My evaluation was exciting because I was able to, with just a couple of days of work, get our application up and running and talking to the other hardware associated our product. However, given the maturity level of Qemu for Solaris on Sparc, we'll almost certainly do a port of our application to other hardware and OS. With the evaluation work, my interest was piqued, so I've continued to play around with Solaris / Sparc on Qemu on my own time. Since I had a fairly well encapsulated symptom, I thought I might be able to help identify a fix or two for Qemu.

Respectfully,
Paul