qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Add support for new image type

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Add support for new image type
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 15:02:37 -0600

On 03/01/2012 01:45 PM, Kai Meyer wrote:
Great, this is exactly what we're after. I work for StorageCraft, and we would
like to figure out some way to allow qemu to directly consume our image-based
backups. It would provide us with user-space mounting (via libguestfs) as well
as booting VMs directly from Backup images. We already have a proprietary image
access library that provides block-wise access to our image files. I have been
able to scratch together a proof of concept already, which I am really pleased
with.

I see only two roadblocks for which I don't have immediate answers for.

1) Licensing
Is it possible to license our contributions in such a way that we do not need to
open the source code of our image access library?

Hi,

Obviously, you should ask your legal department for advice on licensing, but as a policy of the QEMU project, it's unlikely we would accept anything that's sole purpose was to enable third party proprietary code regardless of license compatibility. QEMU is an Open Source project and our past and future success depends on the collaboration and innovation that comes from having an open code base.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori