qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Add support for new image type

From: Kai Meyer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Add support for new image type
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 18:38:16 +0000

From: Paolo Bonzini address@hidden
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 11:54 PM
To: Kai Meyer
Cc: Anthony Liguori; Stefan Weil; address@hidden; Nate Bushman
Subject: Re: Add support for new image type

Il 01/03/2012 22:14, Kai Meyer ha scritto:
> If we can't use qemu in general use-cases (since we can't push support
> for our images up stream), we could still really benefit from a targeted
> use-cases (like a Rescue Environment.)

It does not matter whether it is upstream or not.

When you distribute your modified QEMU binary, anyone who receives it
has the right to ask you for the complete corresponding source code.

I also suggest that you write a wrapper around your library that exports
the contents as iSCSI or NBD.

Paolo

Well, yes. I was assuming that there was potential for us to be able to
distribute qemu modifications that would not require us opening up our library.
The more we look at it, and some past precedence we've experienced, it looks
like it's not going to happen.

I think I agree that iSCSI is really our only option (legally). Too bad. The
code was so simple to integrate directly into qemu. I have to give you guys
kudos again for already having such a simple integration point.

-Kai Meyer