qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Add support for new image type

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Add support for new image type
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 10:14:35 +0100

Il 02/03/2012 19:38, Kai Meyer ha scritto:
> Well, yes. I was assuming that there was potential for us to be able
> to distribute qemu modifications that would not require us opening up
> our library. The more we look at it, and some past precedence we've
> experienced, it looks like it's not going to happen.
>
> I think I agree that iSCSI is really our only option (legally). Too
> bad. The code was so simple to integrate directly into qemu. I have
> to give you guys kudos again for already having such a simple
> integration point.

Adding a small, open source version of the image access code would be
another possibility; you probably have a public spec of the format, and
including support for your format in a QEMU block driver doesn't change
much.  Who knows, it may even bring cheap advertising. :)

QEMU has several entry points for the block driver, and the once with
lower performance are extremely easy to implement (see block/bochs.c).
In theory it could even be read-only, though we would have problems
testing it and this may mean bitrot.

Paolo