qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] XP install cores with SCSI LSI 53C895A disks

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] XP install cores with SCSI LSI 53C895A disks
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:44:05 +0100

On 03/07/12 20:58, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2012, Brian Jackson wrote:
>> I think most people trying to use qemu for anything useful have given
>> up on if=scsi. Some distros even disable support because they don't
>> want to QA it. That should be a decent sign that you may want to avoid
>> it.
>
> OK, but SAS (Serial attached SCSI) is technology in the area of storage
> interface technology where all big storage vendors see future (e.g. they
> give up: FC and SATA drives, SATA drives are replaced by MDL SATA drives
> (SATA 7200RPM drives with SAS interface)).

The problem isn't scsi.  The problem is the lsi adapter.  Problem #1 is
the hardware design which makes it hard to emulate it correctly and #2
that you need a non-redistributable rom file to boot from it.

> Therefore I don't understand why distros are giving up SAS which is also
> SCSI (of course old legacy SCSI is understandable).

Nobody gives up on scsi.  See virtio-scsi merged recently.  There also
is megasas aiming for merge (which shares the boot issue with lsi though).

cheers,
  Gerd