qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Keysymbol interpretation missing in QEMU's VNC server?

From: Fabian Holler
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Keysymbol interpretation missing in QEMU's VNC server?
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:01:00 +0100

Hello Anthony,

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 03:30:18PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 03/07/2012 04:53 AM, Fabian Holler wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm not sure if I found a bug in QEMU's VNC keyboard layout mapping or
> >if it's a general problem in the implemented VNC server:
> >
> >Scenario:
> >QEMU started with: "-k de"
> >Keyboard layout in VM: de
> >Keyboard layout from Client OS: us
> >
> >What i expect:
> >I type the '/' character on the Client OS (key left from the
> >right-shift-key) on US layout.
> >Keysymbol '/' is send over VNC to the QEMU.
> >QEMU lookup in the de keyboard mapping table for the character '/' and
> >should find the scancodes for the keys shift+'7'.
> >The Scancodes for shift and '7'
>
> This does not exist.  There is no such thing as "Scancodes for shift and '7'".
>
> Instead, what's sent to the Client OS is literally, "the key at the
> fourth column, second row".

Yes, I know.
What i actually meant was: with the knowledge of the used
keyboard layout and the key symbol QEMU could figure out that it has to
send scan codes for the keys that are labeled SHIFT & 7 on a keyboard
with DE layout.
Afaik QEMU does this already for the 7 labeled key. But it doesn't
remove/adds additional needed metakey presses like eg Shift.
Or I'm wrong?

The idea was to add these interpretation to also add/remove additional
metakey scancodes for the VM if needed.

> There's really nothing that can be done about this.  The way gtk-vnc
> fixes this is by obtaining the actual scancode from the user's
> keyboard.  But you can't get this in Java in an applet AFAIK.

The same should work in a Java Applet but you also have to figure out
the used keyboard layout and handle metakeys.

regards

Fabian