qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization test

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization tests
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 18:04:21 -0600

On 03/08/2012 05:07 PM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
On 03/08/2012 06:24 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

Cons:
- Lot of code will be duplicated to cover the main code paths:
writting tests will require writting/supporting considerable
ammount of code (that already exists in autotest).

Again, existence proof that this isn't true.

Case in point, the virtio test (that uses an auxiliary script to send data to
the host). Can you tell me if both tests cover even remotely the same amount of
functionality?

https://github.com/autotest/autotest/blob/master/client/tests/kvm/tests/virtio_console.py

https://github.com/autotest/autotest/blob/master/client/virt/scripts/virtio_console_guest.py

Here is the qemu-test version

http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu-test.git;a=blob;f=tests/virtio-serial.sh;h=e95ae6e0b63758262919702d51a9c83bebe2fb08;hb=master

I seem to recall us having this same discussion in the past.... But nevertheless, I started to respond in detail but decided to wait until tomorrow. It's been a long day and I think this thread is a bit too heated already. I think I'll be a bit less grumpy in the morning :-)

But there's one thing I want to point out...

What the qemu-test version covers:
* host starts qemu with one virtio console device backed by a file
* guest verifies if the name of the device is correct
* guest writes to the console device
* host verifies if guest wrote to the virtio console

What the virtio-console covers:

* Sends data between host and guest back and forth, validates the data being
sent, for both small and large amounts of data, both random or sequential.
* Tests write/send in blocking, polling, selecting mode, with port mode
sync/async

This bullet (and many of the bullets) below are not tests of QEMU. They are tests of the Linux kernel. This is an integration test, not a functional test of QEMU.

We absolutely need integration tests and hands down, that's where autotest is going to shine. This is clearly not in the scope of qemu-test and there's been a few discussions on the ML on this including me rejecting a patch that crossed this boundary.

Right now autotest effectively does everything because we (QEMU) have not fulfilled our responsibility here.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori