qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization test

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization tests
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 14:03:52 +0100

Il 08/03/2012 18:59, Ademar Reis ha scritto:
> unit-test:
>     void main()
>     {
>         my_function();
>     }
>
> integration test (or validation test):
>     void main()
>     {
>         exec("my-application");
>     }
>
> But that's all semantics, not important for this discussion IMO.

We do have some "real" unit tests in QEMU, but because a large part of
it is not suitable to inclusion as a library, there's also something in
the middle for QEMU.

Both qtest and qemu-io-tests are in some sense integration tests because
they need working binaries (respectively qemu and qemu-io).  However,
the protocol spoken to the binary, and the kind of stimuli in the test
are designed to affect a particular function or module of QEMU; that
makes the tests more similar to a unit test, especially for qtest which
is written using gtest or PyUnit.

This is where we want to have most of test case growth in the
not-so-long term.

Paolo