qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization test

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization tests
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 14:36:46 +0100

Il 08/03/2012 22:03, Anthony Liguori ha scritto:

>>> Herein lies the problem. You forgot and it's your proposal :-)
>>
>> Ok, fair enough :) But still, qemu-jeos points out to external
>> repositories,
>> just as much as buildroot. It seems to me that the whole point about FSF
>> requiring the source to be under your control is no longer valid here.
>
> There aren't qemu-jeos binaries on qemu.org.  There won't be until I
> mirror the git repos.
>
> It's the infrastructure that matters here.  Submodules provides a nice
> infrastructure to handle all of this and minimizing the external
> components makes the whole thing much more manageable.

How do you handle out-of-tree patches with submodules (as is the case
when working on new code)?

You want to require tests in order to commit to qemu, but this (for
tests where using qtest is not feasible for any reason) requires all
drivers to be upstream and accessible to qemu-jeos.

Perhaps for this it would make sense to associate a qemu-jeos commit id
with an upstream commit (from upstream) + a quilt patch queue.

But there's also the problem of embedded devices whose toolchain is not
available upstream at all, so you'd need to import those separately and
somehow add a different submodule.

Paolo