qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] XP install cores with SCSI LSI 53C895A disks

From: Brian Jackson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] XP install cores with SCSI LSI 53C895A disks
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 10:48:18 -0600

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 13:58:21 -0600, Gerhard Wiesinger <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012, Brian Jackson wrote:
I think most people trying to use qemu for anything useful have given
up on if=scsi. Some distros even disable support because they don't
want to QA it. That should be a decent sign that you may want to avoid
it.

OK, but SAS (Serial attached SCSI) is technology in the area of storage interface technology where all big storage vendors see future (e.g. they give up: FC and SATA drives, SATA drives are replaced by MDL SATA drives (SATA 7200RPM drives with SAS interface)).

Therefore I don't understand why distros are giving up SAS which is also SCSI (of course old legacy SCSI is understandable).

And legacy SCSI is of course technology from yesterday but e.g. LSI53C895A has largest OS support ever as far as I know (from DOS, Win95, NT4, W2K, XP, Vista, Windows 7, Linux, etc.). Also CPU usage is low.

I would imagine IDE would, but I'm not as familiar with hardware support of Windows < XP.

What's your preferred storage technology on QEMU?

virtio > ahci > ide

Where do you see future?

Hopefully, Hannes' Megaraid work gets merged. That along with the other options above should cover most bases pretty well.

BTW: The underlying problem I want to solve: I want to migrate a VMWare Server 2.x VM based on Buslogic SCSI controller to QEMU/KVM. And geometry translation to IDE/SATA doesn't boot up the system ... Any ideas to migrate to other storage technology (VM is offline)?

If you could boot it, I'd say you could try mergeide (I'm assuming it's Windows since Linux should just work).

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
http://www.wiesinger.com/