qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] change the default value of timeout

From: Zhang, Yang Z
Subject: [Qemu-devel] change the default value of timeout
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 03:17:46 +0000

Hi all
        Currently, if not using nonblocking mode, the default timeout of
select() in main_loop_wait is 1000ms. There has no problem if you run few VMs.
But when running more VMs like 32 or 64, then the problem is coming. Our
experience shows that when running 64 idle VMs, the pkg C6 residency is 88% by
default and it goes to 90% when I change timeout to 10s. And 2% means 1 watt in
my box. Since this is only a timeout value for select, so I suggest to use a
more reasonable way to set it rather than using a fixed value. For example,
using an argument to set it by user. But I am not sure whether something else
is depend on the timeout.

best regards
yang