qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:04:18 -0500

On 03/12/2012 02:10 PM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 03/12/2012 12:34 PM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 03/12/2012 12:06 PM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
Hi all,
I don't mean to steer any controversy or start any flame wars here, but
rather I want to point out a problem in the QEMU Community that is
preventing us and other people from having a good experience working
upstream with QEMU. Call it constructive criticism.

Patches are being posted to the list that don't get any reviews at all.
Other patches get reviewed the first time, then once they are reposted
they don't get any other reviews or acked-by or reviewed-by.

In all fairness, QEMU continues to grow year-to-year both in terms of total
commits and number of contributors.

The area that we struggle with is infrequent contributors that contribute
non-trivial things and are write-only contributors.

In this case, I really think the problem is expecting to be a write-only
contributor.  Part of participating in a community is not only pushing your own
patches for acceptance but also reviewing other people's patches and
participating in the discussion.  If everyone only sends patches and doesn't
review patches, then we'll never make progress.

So I'd strongly suggest trying to spend some time reviewing other people's work.
    Right now, there are at least four different efforts around migration yet I
don't see any of the people reviewing the other efforts.  I think this is really
the main problem.

Point taken.
However maintainers should also be responsible of reviewing patches of
"infrequent write-only contributors".

I certainly do it for the areas I am a maintainer of, and in general we
try to do it on xen-devel. Overall I think we are mostly succeeding even
though admittedly the traffic is lower than qemu-devel.
Maybe we just need more maintainers?

Yes, we do.  But as Paul Brook likes to say, in order to be a maintainer, you
have to be willing to say no, not just apply patches.

It's not a question of maintainers, it's a question of people providing critical
review of patches.

Right, but if one's name is right below a particular subsystem in the
MAINTAINERS file, one should be the one in charge of providing a timely
review to all the patches that touch that subsystem.

Note that MAINTAINERS lacks an entry for savevm.c.  That should imply M: Orphan.

If you one is a maintainer and one is silently ignoring a patch touching
one's subsystem, then one is not doing a good job as a maintainer.
Of course if one is a maintainer and rather than giving useful feedback,
limits the reply to a statement like "No", is also not doing a very good
job.
Do we all agree on these basic principles?

It's more complicated than that in a large project. MAINTAINERS has different support levels. I think what you're proposing is M: Supported.

M: Odd fixes (which is what I proposed savevm.c as) is less rigorous than that.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

If it is not the case, and you don't think this is the role of a QEMU
maintainer, then maybe we need to invent a new name for a new role that
covers that function.