qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:18:55 -0500

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 05:06:15PM +0000, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> Hi all,
> I don't mean to steer any controversy or start any flame wars here, but
> rather I want to point out a problem in the QEMU Community that is
> preventing us and other people from having a good experience working
> upstream with QEMU. Call it constructive criticism.
>
> Patches are being posted to the list that don't get any reviews at all.
> Other patches get reviewed the first time, then once they are reposted
> they don't get any other reviews or acked-by or reviewed-by.
>
> As a whole it takes biblical times to get through the QEMU review
> process. I wonder how any commercial company with deadlines would be able
> to cope with them. Even the Xen Community, that is far from a commercial
> company, is having difficulties with them and now upstream QEMU is at
> risk of missing the 4.2 release target.
>

> We need more people reviewing patches. And we need more maintainers.
>

> Anthony Liguori is still the maintainer for many areas within QEMU, and
> he is clearly too busy for that. We need more people helping him review
> patches for source files like savevm.c and vl.c.
>
> I believe in leading by example, so Anthony Perard and I will try to
> review more patch series, even outside Xen support in QEMU, starting
> from now.
> I hope more people will start to do the same to the point that it will
> get natural to add more names and email addresses to the MAINTAINERS
> file.
>
> I hope that other people will recognize that this is a problem and be
> willing to step up to find a solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stefano

Thanks Stefano. I plan on doing a lot of work with migration in the
future, and as such try to keep tabs on the migration-related stuff on
qemu-devel. I often don't get around to actually reviewing things
though, and that's been nagging me for a while now, so this is a good
point for me to start doing a better job of it. I'll try to review any
migration stuff I see, and anyone needing a second set of eyes feel free
to CC me or ping me on IRC.