qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 01:54:56 +0100

Am 13.03.2012 um 01:16 schrieb Anthony Liguori <address@hidden>:

> On 03/12/2012 06:32 PM, Andreas Färber wrote:

>>> So both of these platforms have maintainers that can do PULL requests
>>> for issues like this.
>> [snip]
>>
>> You're missing the point here: There usually *are* patches quickly, but
>> they often don't get applied to qemu.git as fast. Often there are even
>> two or three people sending build fixes concurrently. Do you really need
>> a PULL for a single patch that affects everyone?
>
> A PULL is just as good as a push.  There's a slight lag in a PULL, but
> generally it should be pretty quick.
>

>> Take Blue's recent target-ppc fix
>> 9d4df9c02866f39d3eef105033091f367cc7c29e for example: After applying
>> patches on day one of FOSDEM he posted a -Werror fix, it got confirmed
>> by me and Alex but wasn't applied until a week later, because apparently
>> no other committer dared to apply Blue's patch despite SoB and acks and
>> people reporting the issue... Not happy.
>> No doubt Alex is to blame for not catching that issue in his ppc queue,
>> but asking Alex as submaintainer to submit a PULL for a single patch
>> posted by Blue as committer seems overly complicated to me! ;)
>
> I think this is a good demonstration of what the problem is.  Unclear
> responsibility.  I'm pretty sure that Blue thought that Alex would handle the
> patch.  I'm pretty sure that Alex thought Blue would handle the patch.
>
> If we start saying that, Alex "owns" ppc except for things that are
> "important" like a build breakage, then we get into the ugly definition of
> what's important and what's not important.
>
> So yes, if the build breakage is limited to PPC, and came in through the PPC
> tree, I'd expect the fix to also come through the PPC tree.

Yeah, the ppc tree issue is probably special to my workflow. I tend to only
keep a single branch - ppc-next. That branch is basically my staging and
development tree which I synchronize using pull requests every now and then.

The problem with that is that single build breakage fixes don't fit in at all
in that workflow - and I haven't found a good alternative yet. Jumping through
different trees just increases chances I lose track of patches even more, so
splitting ppc-next and ppc-something-i-commit-now doesn't work for me.

And yes, pull requests do take longer. They are also more visible than pushes.
But that also means that the barrier for doing one is bigger - who really wants
to spam the ML? Sending a pull request is also a matter of minutes, while a
push is a matter of seconds. Smoke tsting of that tree alone is a matter of
running autotest for half a day. It sounds like no big deal, but I often found
myself not pushing because I felt the I don't have enough patches queued up to
make a pull request worthwhile, while I do push wholeheartedly to ppc-next,
since I assume that tree unstable.

This is all founded in the whole idea behind doing pull requests though, they
are supposed to be visible. They are supposed to be scarce. They are supposed
to be consistent, well tested states. This is orthogonal to the requirements of
quick fixes, which are usually very simple and need to be applied as fast as
possible and don't need deep testing because they are very limited in scope.

Either way, next time I'll just mail Blue directly that he should apply a
single commit fix and then everyone'll be happy :).

Alex