qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Illumos/SmarOS support

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Illumos/SmarOS support
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:56:37 +0000

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Lee Essen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've been working on getting the mainline qemu tree working on SmartOS
> (illumos), the current qemu support seems to be a branch of qemu-kvm and
> we've been having some problems getting spice working, so moving to the main
> qemu tree seemed sensible.

qemu-kvm.git is a fork of qemu.git.  qemu-kvm.git periodically pulls
in qemu.git updates, but patches are also sent back to mainline
qemu.git so the delta between the two has been decreasing.  Perhaps
the two can merge soon.

> Anyway, couple of questions…
>
> 1. Are you happy to accept patches that enable this?
>       - There are a few build related things that don't work … assumption of
> sh
> being bash, missing -64 argument to dtrace etc.

Sounds good, but have you checked the Joyent qemu-kvm Illumos port to
see what fixes they already have?

https://github.com/joyent/illumos-kvm-cmd

>       - There are also some dtrace language problems with tracetool (no
> support
> for bool, and self being reserved.)

If there is a reserved keyword then we need to update ./trace-events
to avoid using it, and we need to add a check to scripts/tracetool so
that it refuses such trace event definitions.  There was discussion
about reserved keywords recently here:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/146054/

>       - More fundamentally some object linking issues with dtrace which I'll
> need
> some help to find the best way to resolve.

I think Joyent has already done this, they said they use QEMU tracing
with DTrace as the backend.

>       - Specific #ifdef CONFIG_SOLARIS/__sun__ stuff to support differences
>       - ultimately the support for vnic's … but I haven't even looked at that
> yet.
>
>       The current state is that it's working ok for Windows guests, and
> non-KVM
> for Linux, but kvm & linux seems to fail, hence question number 2.
>
> 2. The last thing that happens when I try to boot linux with kvm enabled is
> some apic mmio accesses, then it stops at a hlt instruction and never gets
> going again. Is there something I can enable to help debug this? Or has
> anyone else seen similar behaviour? I've run out of places to look.

So you are using qemu.git/master with the IllumOS KVM port?

I think what you are trying to do makes sense - IllumOS as a host OS
and QEMU platform should be actively involved in the upstream QEMU
community.  But you may want to first check the Joyent port to see
what can easily be upstreamed and also try talking with them if you
haven't already.  I'm not sure why things aren't being pushed upstream
but perhaps the process can be started.

Stefan