qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Illumos/SmarOS support

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Illumos/SmarOS support
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:12:34 +0100

Something went wrong with your reply... While it contains a quote it
does not reference the mail you replied to, that way messages get lost
among the constant chatter on qemu-devel.

Am 15.03.2012 13:39, schrieb address@hidden:
> On 15/03/2012 11:56, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>>> Anyway, couple of questions…
>>>
>>> 1. Are you happy to accept patches that enable this?
>>>     - There are a few build related things that don't work … assumption of
>>> sh
>>> being bash, missing -64 argument to dtrace etc.
>> Sounds good, but have you checked the Joyent qemu-kvm Illumos port to
>> see what fixes they already have?
>>
>> https://github.com/joyent/illumos-kvm-cmd
>
> Yes, they have solved the same problems .. however the build mechanism
> seems to be sufficiently different that things need to be done slightly
> differently for qemu.git.
>
> These aren't complex changes and amount to generally only a couple of lines.
>
> The illumos-kvm-cmd tree seems to be only updated to address joyent
> live-image build requirements, and hasn't really moved in about 7
> months. I've been posting profusely on the smartos mailing list and they
> also don't seem that concerned about this work.

At FOSDEM, I talked to a Bryant from illumos who wanted to forward my
business card to their KVM/QEMU guys re upstreaming, but I haven't heard
back from anyone so far.

> So for each binary created you need to do something like...
>
> dtrace -o <binary>-dtrace.o -G -s <dtrace-source>
> <all-the-objects-used-by-the-binary>
>
> ... then include the specific <binary>-drace.o when linking the main
> binary.

Same as on Solaris 10. There was some alternative trick to "glom"
objects together to avoid linking in that extra object, don't remember
exactly. Hopefully there's an archive of the old Sun blogs somewhere.

Concerning KVM, there was some resentment on the Red Hat side againt the
SmartOS KVM port due to the legal issue of whether GPL'ed KVM may be
combined with CDDL. But that is independent of currently broken QEMU
host support in userland.

Andreas