qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 08:12:12 -0500

On 03/25/2012 08:08 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 03/25/2012 02:55 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
If cpu models are not part of configuration they should not be affected
by configuration mechanism. You are just avoiding addressing the real
question that if asked above.

I think you're just refusing to listen.

The stated direction of QEMU, for literally years now, is that we want
to arrive at the following:

QEMU is composed of a series of objects who's relationships can be
fully described by an external configuration file.  Much of the
current baked in concepts (like machines) would then become
configuration files.

qemu -M pc

Would effectively be short hand for -readconfig
/usr/share/qemu/machines/pc.cfg

In that case

  qemu -cpu westmere

is shorthand for -readconfig /usr/share/qemu/cpus/westmere.cfg.

This is not a bad suggestion, although it would make -cpu ? a bit awkward. Do you see an advantage to this over having /usr/share/qemu/target-x86_64-cpus.cfg that's read early on?

I think the thread has reduced to: should /usr/share configuration
files be read by default or just treated as additional configuration
files.

If they're read as soon as they're referenced, what's the difference?

I suspect libvirt would not be happy with reading configuration files on
demand..

Regards,

Anthony Liguori