qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows Virtio Issue

From: Yan Vugenfirer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows Virtio Issue
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 19:01:54 +0200

Hello Paul,

Vadim is the owner of virtio-block Windows driver. He will try to help you.

Best regards,
Yan.

On Mar 23, 2012, at 7:32 PM, Paul Fisher wrote:

Dear Yan,

We seem to be having some trouble with virtio disk on Windows Server 2008 R2 running on qemu-kvm. Essentially, when disk IO is stressed, it seems to blue screen.

These are potentially contended disks, since it's public cloud with multiple customers on the host - the issue could be connected to contention making disk response slow?

Pertinent facts:

* qemu-kvm 1.0

* Hosts have linux kernel 3.2.2, 64 bit, AMD Opteron 6128

* VM is Windows Server 2008 R2, 64 bit - all patches downloaded from MS

* Virtio disk drivers are the February 2012 release .2200. Problem is apparent with the older .2000 driver as well.

* Blue screen shows failure in viostor.sys - screen cap and minidump are at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12332019/2200BSOD.zip

* Replication: Yes. Easily. In this case I stressed the disk by running Crystal Disk mark (a free IO measuring tool). When it got to the 4 KB random seek tests - I think it was on write - it would consistently blue screen.

* If it would help, I can provide remote access to this virtual machine if you wish - it's in our cloud system.

* qemu-kvm command line:

qemu-kvm -m MEMORY -smp SMP -cpu host -nodefaults -vga cirrus -vnc :1  -drive if=none,id=block.0,format=raw, cache=writeback,file=drive.img -device virtio-blk-pci,bootindex=1,
drive=block.0 -monitor stdio

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Paul Fisher