qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Thoughts around dtrace linking...

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Thoughts around dtrace linking...
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:14:30 +0100

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Lee Essen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2012, at 08:08, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

>> If you're able to try out the dependency-based approach that would be a
>> good starting point.  You may hit a point where it turns out to be too
>> ugly or complicated - in that case, please post your progress and maybe
>> someone can help find a way to structure it.  I'm not a make guru but I
>> can try to give feedback on your patches.
>>
>> Stefan
>>

> Ok, here's an attempt … it works for me, but I'm not sure how it would work
> on a different dtrace platform so it will probably need some different
> guarding … but it shows what it will look like.

The code makes sense to me.  There's a feeling that there must be a
way to remove the duplication in this approach, but my make foo isn't
good enough to see how.

As you mentioned, we need a way to distinguish between Solaris DTrace,
which requires the global .o linking approach, and other
implementations.  You could use CONFIG_SOLARIS and CONFIG_TRACE_DTRACE
together to enable the global .o linking.

Stefan