qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Ignoring errno makes QMP errors suck

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Ignoring errno makes QMP errors suck
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:54:19 -0300

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:47:51 +0200
Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 26.03.2012 16:33, schrieb Luiz Capitulino:

> >> Your PermissionDenied example doesn't really do this. It is a generic
> >> error message that may occur in multiple contexts, right? So in one
> >> context you may need a file name as additional information, in another
> >> context permission for something completely different may be missing
> >> (especially if you include EPERM in the same error).
> >
> > Yes, but it's not a severe problem. Not yet. Because most of the time the
> > error context can be inferred from the command's context. Say, you fail to
> > create a file where only one file could be created.
>
> So how do you like the 'transaction' command? :-)

That's the only exception I think. If this is hurting you, then we have two
add new QERR_s macros that accept the filename argument (note that we wouldn't
add a new error, just a macro that accepts a new argument).

> But even if you could infer the context, the possible error details may
> still differ in the possible contexts. With -blockdev this will become
> even more fun, because even for bdrv_open you may or may not have a
> filename. Maybe you rather have a hostname, port and sheepdog volume ID.
> Or directory name, FAT type and stuff.

Right, and the solution for this is really extending the error infra to
accept optional parameters. Although I don't know how to support different
error messages.

> > But yes, we need to add a way for errors to accept optional parameters.
> >
> > I have a series that's almost done that moves all errors to a
> > qapi-error.json
> > file and auto-generates the QErrors tables. Maybe that's a first step
> > towards
> > more flexible errors.
> >
> >> I think 'OpenFileFailed' is not too bad, it's just missing a field that
> >> gives the detail 'PermissionDenied'. I'm not sure if having
> >> 'PermissionDenied' as the top-level error object is the best idea.
> >
> > I think the end result is the same, but I prefer PermissionDenied as the
> > top level because it's slightly simpler.
>
> How would you do the conversion in a compatible way?

Returning additional errors is not incompatible.