qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:03:05 -0500

On 03/26/2012 04:08 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
If I see something like -nodefconfig, I assume it will create a bare
bones guest that will not depend on any qemu defaults and will be stable
across releases.

That's not even close to what -nodefconfig is.  That's pretty much
what -nodefaults is but -nodefaults has also had a fluid definition
historically.

Okay.  Let's just make sure to document -nodefconfig as version specific
and -nodefaults as the stable way to create a bare bones guest (and
define exactly what that means).

Agreed. But I do want to point out, that -nodefaults has not been stable and since it doesn't universally create a bare bones guest, it's not clear that it will be.

I think what we want to move toward is a -no-machine option which allows a user to explicitly build a machine from scratch. That is:

qemu -no-machine -device i440fx,id=host -device isa-serial,chr=chr0 ...

Regards,

Anthony Liguori