qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/13]: convert device_add to the qapi

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/13]: convert device_add to the qapi
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:26:30 -0300

This is an RFC because it's not 100% finished yet and I'm not sure if some
of the changes are the way to go.

Here's a summary of the series its issues, more details can be found in
the patches:

 o Patches 1 to 11 convert several qemu-option and qemu-config functions
   from qerror_report() to error_set(). Note that not all users of those
   functions are converted, so it might be needed to call qerror_report_err()
   somewhere in the call stack to keep QError semantics.

   Also, new versions of qemu_opt_set() and qemu_find_opts() that take an
   Error parameter are introduced. This allows for incremental conversion
   (vs. converting 100% of their users in one series)

 o Patch 12 introduces support for allowing QAPI functions to accept a
   variable list of arguments, which are unchecked and passed "as-is"
   to the QAPI function. My implementation here is very hacky, please
   check the patch for details

 o Patch 13 does the QAPI conversion itself, but the HMP version of
   device_add lacks its help text (ie. '?'). The problem here is that hmp.c
   is really a QMP client and can only use what's provided by QMP. There are
   two ways to solve this:

        1. Anthony told me that he has this implemented in his tree, but
           I couldn't find it. Anthony, can you point me to your
           implementation?

        2. Add a query-drivers command or similar to get a list of drivers,
           so that the HMP command can use it to implement the help text

 blockdev.c               |    2 +-
 hmp-commands.hx          |    3 +-
 hmp.c                    |   24 +++++++
 hmp.h                    |    1 +
 hw/qdev-monitor.c        |   70 ++++++++++++++-----
 hw/qdev.h                |    2 +-
 hw/usb/dev-storage.c     |    2 +-
 hw/watchdog.c            |    2 +-
 qapi-schema.json         |   38 ++++++++++
 qemu-char.c              |    8 ++-
 qemu-config.c            |   43 +++++++++---
 qemu-config.h            |    3 +
 qemu-option.h            |    6 +-
 qemu-sockets.c           |    8 +--
 qerror.c                 |    4 ++
 qerror.h                 |    3 +
 qmp-commands.hx          |    3 +-
 scripts/qapi-commands.py |   31 ++++++++-
 scripts/qapi.py          |    2 +
 vl.c                     |   25 ++++---