qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Debug single program in QEMU

From: 陳韋任
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Debug single program in QEMU
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:56:50 +0800

> Could you tell me what kind of programs can be emulated in user-mode of
> QEMU ?

  Use-mode can emulate programs compiled for different ISA but with same OS.

> It seems that only limited programs can be emulated in user-mode, like
> /bin/ls, and with warning. A lot of other programs cannot be emulated, like
> GUI programs, browser, etc.

  Currently, I only emulate command line programs, i.e., something like
`/bin/ls`.
I am curious about running /bin/ls with warning in your case. Can you elaborate
on what your enviroment is? For example, what version of QEMU you're using, how
you run the example program, and what kind of warning you have. I don't know
QEMU can/cannot deal with GUI, but I think it should. You can also give us an
example on that.

> Additionally, why so many instructions come out when I use  " -d in_asm "
> to log? It's hard to find the real instructions of that single program...

  You have to know that even a simple helloworld contains many instructions
than you thought (dynamic linker, for example). My suggestion is using
`objdump` at the same time to locate the function you're interested in, then
look into the log.

Regards,
chenwj

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,