qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes April 3

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes April 3
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 06:48:53 -0500

On 04/03/2012 03:43 PM, Dor Laor wrote:
On 04/03/2012 05:43 PM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
I'm afraid my notes are rather rough...

* 1.1
soft freeze apr 15th (less than two weeks)
hard freeze may 1
three months cycle for 1.2
stable machine types only every few releases? "pc-next"

* Maintainers, got distracted and my notes make no sense, sorry

* MSI injection to KVM irqchips from userspace devices models

* qemu-kvm tree: working towards upstream merge

not much left, mostly device assignment

* Migration: vmstate and visitors, decoupling the wire format
why not ASN.1

Curiosity kills me of waiting for next week's meeting to get the answer

ASN.1 is an IDL format. It's encoded in many ways including BER. I think there's wide spread agreement that the next migration wire format should be encoded with BER which means it could be described via ASN.1 but I don't think we intend on using ASN.1 within the code base.

I don't think using ASN.1 to describe devices makes sense. There really aren't very good Open Source ASN.1 compilers. I also don't think the syntax is flexible enough to fully describe a device either.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

* qtest: test cases wanted