qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] automatic exit on memory errors

From: Frediano Ziglio
Subject: [Qemu-devel] automatic exit on memory errors
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 17:38:21 +0100

Hi,
  I just realized that on any out of memory conditions Qemu exit with an error.

I found this thread on g_malloc

    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/128863

but nothing related to the exit conditions.

I know that out of memory conditions is quite hard to handle but if
somebody rely to a virtual machine and at least to a clean close I
think this won't happen. Personally I think that managing this
situation in a clean way where error is tried to be reported and
cleans are tried.

If some function try to allocate a large buffer the function should
just return an error and program can report error and let use clean or
try to recover (like powering off the machine) but calling g_malloc
everywhere is not that fine.

It would at least be fine if block drivers register some "atexit"
function to flush every buffer they possible have.

Anybody considered this problem?

Frediano