qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Using load_elf

From: Brian Vandenberg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Using load_elf
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 15:36:37 -0600

> ROM images are in form of binary blobs with no location information,
> they must be loaded to a known address. For boot ROMs, the address
> range would cover CPU hard reset entry vector.

So, for a BIOS or boot ROM that has been stripped, the board needs to
be hard-coded to not just load the image into a fixed address, but
attempt to boot from a fixed offset from that location -- and
load_image_targphys helps accomplish all of this.

> The device tree is decorated by QEMU (for example memory size and host
> clock speed), but it's not used internally by QEMU otherwise. This
> tree is passed to the guest OS. If the guest doesn't use the tree, it
> could be useful to make the FDT use optional.

hm.  I was fully expecting there to be a mapping of devices in the
tree provided by FDT into qdev-ified devices.

-Brian