qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] USB CD/DVD Drives on QEMU

From: Erik Rull
Subject: [Qemu-devel] USB CD/DVD Drives on QEMU
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 22:30:47 +0200

Hi all,

I still have troubles using USB CD or DVD drives in QEMU. They get detected and work very often on Linux Guests, but Windows XP Guests seem not to be able to detect the drive completely.

Now my question to all:
Do you have a USB CD or DVD drive already attached to a Windows XP QEMU guest?
If yes, please let me know your host hardware configuration and your QEMU options - I really need this feature for my further work.

I tested now 1 plain USB DVD/RW drive, 1 plain older USB CD/RW drive and a "combo" DVD Drive with Cardreader.

Results - both on a AMD (Debian 6.0, kernel 2.6.32.5) and two Intel host systems (vanilla kernel 2.6.32.12, Core2Duo / i7 and another disk with Debian 6.0 as well!):
Windows XP detects all drives with several host resets.
For the "plain" drives they are listed in the device manager but not get a drive letter assigned - no further errors visible. => but those drives work fine on a native XP system and are fine as well on native Linux.

The "combo" drive gets fully detected on the AMD system with the Windows XP Guest - transfer rates in the guest are ok (~ 50 secs for 90 MB from CD), but this drive causes USB resets on the Intel systems and no real success when trying to transfer data (Double click on the drive letter causes a Windows Explorer hang / get unresponsive - there is no autostart.inf on my test CD). With the Debian 6.0 and the Intel Systems I get the drive letter as well for the combo drive - but the disc access is not possible - it resets the USB device over and over on the host system and causes kernel oops (see the textfile from dmesg attached)!

I can provide further traces, logfiles etc. for digging deeper, but I need to know what you need exactly for proceeding and will try to provide them.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

Erik