qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Possible disk corruption with virtIO?

From: Prateek Sharma
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Possible disk corruption with virtIO?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:07:06 +0530

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Prateek Sharma <address@hidden> wrote:
>>   I am writing to ask whether there is any possibility of silent data
>> corruption with virtIO/qemu.
>> My files inside the guest are getting zeroed out. Specifically, bytes
>> 512 to 4096 on some files are being zeroed out. (some 60K files out of
>>  5Million are showing this so far).  The virtual disk is a file on
>> ext4 (size of file is 1TB), and i am using virtio, aio-threads=native,
>> and cache=none. The disk having the virtual disk is on mdadm
>> raid1---so i am guessing possibility of disk corruption is low
>
> Did you check the corruption by mounting the image file on the host
> while the VM is not running?  This we you can be sure that there is no
> bug that causes the guest to "see" zeroes.  If you see the zeroes
> inside the guest we can't be 100% sure that the image file itself
> contains them.
>
> Can you describe the guest configuration?  Guest operating system?
> Application/mail server?  Which files are being corrupted?  Is I/O
> constantly being issued by the guest or does the corruption appear
> even when the files are not being accessed?  Basically anything that
> can help spot a pattern here.
>
> Stefan

Hi Stefan,

*The problem seems to have  gone-away after having upgraded the host
and guest kernel (3.2.2) and qemu to 1.0*

The files were being corrupted on disk as well (checked with mounting
the disk image via qemu-nbd). The guest is ubuntu-10.04.3 x86 server
(2.6.32 pae kernel) . It's a mail-server, with Postfix and
Dovecot(1.2.6). The files being corrupted are maildir files.
Accessing the files seems to increase the probability of corruption,
although i cannot prove a definite correlation.  I could not spot a
pattern in the file corruption, other than the weird 512-4096 bytes
being zeroed out for the files. The block-size everywhere is 4k, so i
wonder how this could possibly happen.

I am guessing it was probably some kernel bug that caused this in the
first place?

Thanks
--- Prateek