qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Possible disk corruption with virtIO?

From: Prateek Sharma
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Possible disk corruption with virtIO?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:14:03 +0530

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Prateek Sharma <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you check the corruption by mounting the image file on the host
>>> while the VM is not running?  This we you can be sure that there is no
>>> bug that causes the guest to "see" zeroes.  If you see the zeroes
>>> inside the guest we can't be 100% sure that the image file itself
>>> contains them.
>>>
>>> Can you describe the guest configuration?  Guest operating system?
>>> Application/mail server?  Which files are being corrupted?  Is I/O
>>> constantly being issued by the guest or does the corruption appear
>>> even when the files are not being accessed?  Basically anything that
>>> can help spot a pattern here.
>>>
>>> Stefan
>>
>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> *The problem seems to have  gone-away after having upgraded the host
>> and guest kernel (3.2.2) and qemu to 1.0*
>>
>> The files were being corrupted on disk as well (checked with mounting
>> the disk image via qemu-nbd). The guest is ubuntu-10.04.3 x86 server
>> (2.6.32 pae kernel) . It's a mail-server, with Postfix and
>> Dovecot(1.2.6). The files being corrupted are maildir files.
>> Accessing the files seems to increase the probability of corruption,
>> although i cannot prove a definite correlation.  I could not spot a
>> pattern in the file corruption, other than the weird 512-4096 bytes
>> being zeroed out for the files. The block-size everywhere is 4k, so i
>> wonder how this could possibly happen.
>>
>> I am guessing it was probably some kernel bug that caused this in the
>> first place?
>
> Maybe.  I'm afraid there's not enough information to tell what is going on.
>
> If you do see this again we can try to debug it.
>
> Stefan

I definitely want to try to debug this. I can copy the virtual-disk
and try to reproduce it.
One thing i am sure about is that no process is writing to the files.
Also the corruption is totally silent. Can you give me some pointers
how to go about trying to find the cause?
Should i attempt tracing qemu ?

Thanks,
--Prateek