qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/14] MAINTAINERS cleanups - please read

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/14] MAINTAINERS cleanups - please read
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:47:13 -0500

On 04/16/2012 04:24 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 16 April 2012 18:42, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 04/16/2012 12:17 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
Here's my stab at it:
            Maintained:  Someone actually looks after it. The maintainer
                         will have a git subtree for this area and patches
                         are expected to go through it. Bug reports will
                         generally be investigated.

* For something to be marked Maintained, there must be a person on M: and
there must be a git tree for the subsystem.

Do you mean "there must be a git tree" or "there must be a git tree
listed under T: for this area" ? We have I think several subsystems
where things do come in via pullreq for a submaintainer tree but that
tree isn't officially public except in as much as the branch name
for the pullreq is always the same...

I'd like to record T: as part of a way to validate pull requests. I get slightly nervous about pull requests because it's an easy way to sneak code into the tree if you're malicious.

I'd prefer if we kept an official whitelist of trees in MAINTAINERS verses relying on my local .git/config.

I don't particularly object to providing a T: line for
target-arm.next/arm-devs.next, but I'm not sure it's particularly useful,
since we don't have the same tendency the kernel does to having subtrees
which can diverge significantly because of large amounts of change waiting
for a merge window. I wouldn't expect people to base arm patches against
arm-devs.next rather than master, for instance. (Maybe I should??)
Anyway, I think if we have T: lines in MAINTAINERS it should be because
(and we should clearly say that) that is the tree that we expect patches
in that area to apply to.

I think we should (and do already?) say that all patches on qemu-devel should be against qemu.git unless otherwise indicated in the patch subject.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

-- PMM