qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Generating cachegrind output with qemu

From: Wacha Gábor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Generating cachegrind output with qemu
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:05:10 +0200

Dear Stefan,

Thanks for your quick answer, I'll look into it.

Regards,
Gabor Wacha

2012.04.24. 6:33, "Stefan Weil" <address@hidden> ezt írta:
Am 23.04.2012 18:18, schrieb Wacha Gábor:
Dear developers, I am a Hungarian student trying to use qemu for profiling bare metal ARM programs for my student research. On the following page, it is mentioned that one can generate cachegrind output with qemu: http://www.monstr.eu/wiki/doku.php?id=qemu:qemu#run_with_cachegrind Unfortunately it does not work (altough I checked out the sources from the mentioned git repository), and I found out (using find and grep utilities), that cachegrind is not even mentioned in the qemu sources. My question is: does this feature exist? If the answer is yes, how can I use it? (And I am sorry for my English.) Thanks, Gabor Wacha

Your English is good - much better than my Hungarian :-)

Standard QEMU cannot produce cachegrind output.

According to this mail, a derived version of QEMU supports
cachegrind output for CRIS and MicroBlaze emulation:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2009-06/msg01415.html

I cc'ed the author, Edgar Iglesias. Here are the sources:

http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/cris-port.git

Cachegrind for ARM emulation is not supported and
would have to be implemented in QEMU.

Profiling could also be done by using the TCG interpreter
and extending the interpreter main loop tcg_qemu_tb_exec
in tci.c.

Regards,

Stefan Weil