qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/14] MAINTAINERS cleanups - please read

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/14] MAINTAINERS cleanups - please read
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 08:14:23 +0000

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 13:43, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 17.04.2012 22:45, schrieb Blue Swirl:

>>> I'd like to record T: as part of a way to validate pull requests.  I get
>>> slightly nervous about pull requests because it's an easy way to sneak code
>>> into the tree if you're malicious.
>>
>> Wouldn't signed PULL requests help? They need a very recent git though.
>
> Signed PULL requests can authenticate the person sending the PULL but
> not authorize what areas the contents of the PULL is allowed to touch.

Yes, but was that the problem Anthony had with PULLs? For a person
with malicious intentions, a pull would not necessarily be the tool of
choice, since it could lead to banning and investigations after
discovery. I thought Anthony was talking about MITM (or kernel.org
style breach) scenarios, there signed PULLs and/or signed commits
could help.

> Any definition of key -> files (just like email -> files) is going to be
> surrounded by grey zones and exceptions to the rule, so I guess
> verifying each PULL's diff stat and good judgment are the only weapons
> against malicious PULLs, given that PULLs have become quite popular
> these days and are no longer limited to recurring block, pci, ppc, etc.

How is a PULL any different from email, can you do something in a PULL
which is not possible with email? I think signed PULLs and commits
would give higher level of integrity and non-repudiation than unsigned
email.