qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Memory API: handling unassigned physical memory

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Memory API: handling unassigned physical memory
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 13:49:58 +0100

On 1 May 2012 13:48, Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 05/01/2012 03:43 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> On 1 May 2012 13:42, Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > sysbus should just die.
>>
>> Totally agreed. It's not going to go quietly though...
>
> Not if you keep suggesting workarounds when I tell unsuspecting
> developers to qomify their devices.

When QOM supports (1) exporting gpio signals and (2)
exporting memory regions, then it will be providing the
main things that sysbus provides. (Sysbus today is essentially
"I need a device that exports some memory regions and some
I/O pins".) At that point it will be sensible to say "convert
your sysbus devices to QOM". Until QOM is actually able to
provide the functionality, it's not a workable replacement.

-- PMM