qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ahci drive: how to make it non-bootable?

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ahci drive: how to make it non-bootable?
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 21:56:10 +0400

On 08.05.2012 10:43, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>>> bootindex=1 for virtio
>>
>> -drive file=winguest.raw,if=virtio,bootindex=1 --
>>
>> this does not work:
>
> Oops.  I through it does, but seems this is only the case for the old &
> deprecated boot=on (and maybe even that only in qemu-kvm).

boot=on has been removed in qemu-kvm too.  I had to resurrect it for
Debian, so in debian it is supported still.  And _that_ actually works,
so I actually saved myself by providing the dropped feature.  I can
do the obvious (adding boot=on to the virtio drive) and it boots from
it, despite the presence of ahci.  Yay, thank you Gerd! :)

>>  qemu: -drive file=winguest.raw,if=virtio,bootindex=1: Invalid parameter
>> 'bootindex'
>>
>> I understand that I probably can replace this single
>> -drive with 3 parameters -- -device virtio-blk-pci,
>> -drive if=none, and -device ide-drive.
>
> It's two only:
>   -drive if=none,id=<name>,...
>   -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=<name>

Ok, at least it is not entirely insane :)

>> Also, still, the question in the $subj: how to make the ahci
>> drive non-bootable?
>
> I think you can't.
>
> seabios uses a few numbers just above 100 for the internal default
> ordering (hd first, then cdrom, then nic, then others) in case no
> bootindex is specified.  So you can try bootindex=200, that should get
> ahci to the bottom of the boot menu, maybe that is good enougth.

I tried 1000 - it still places ahci before virtio.  Unless I use
boot=on for virtio case.

I guess I'll remove the deprecation warning for Debian too, since
this boot=on thing is the only sane way to specify boot drive... :(

Thank you!

/mjt