qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu-1.0-rc1 delayed (need fix for PPC32 build)

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu-1.0-rc1 delayed (need fix for PPC32 build)
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 20:52:17 -0500

Hi,

I was hoping we'd have a solution by now but it looks like we don't. I'm going to delay the qemu-1.0-rc1 release until tomorrow. I'd like to propose a couple paths forward. Here's my understanding of the situation:

1) TCG changes were made for the Sparc/Alpha targets that use AREG0

2) AREG0 never worked properly on ppc32 hosts

3) Until recently, this caused a runtime failure of the Sparc/Alpha targets on ppc32. However, malc recently changed this to a build time failure.

I don't feel comfortable shipping a release candidate with a known failing build. Here are the options:

a) Revert malc's change. I don't think this is much better than shipping a broken build.

b) Disable sparc/alpha targets in default_target_list on ppc32 hosts. I think is probably the best short term approach.

c) Wait for Andreas' patches (I believe Alex detected a problem in the current version).

Unless anyone strongly objects, I'm going to implement (b) tomorrow morning so we can keep the -rc cycle moving. I would hope that we'll have something worked out for (c) by -rc2.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori