qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Posting a patch?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Posting a patch?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:53:51 +0100

On 14 May 2012 21:30, Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:
> if you use git for sending, you don't risk that your mailer destroys the
> format of your patch.
> I usually use these commands to send a single patch from the QEMU source
> directory:
>
>    # Create the patch file (name depends on the subject line of your patch).
>    git format-patch HEAD^
>    # Check the patch (fix any issues which were found).
>    scripts/checkpatch.pl 0001-*
>    # Get the maintainer who is responsible (there is not always one).
>    scripts/get_maintainer.pl 0001-*
>    # Send the patch.
>    git send-email --to address@hidden --to "n.n <address@hidden>"
> 0001-*

If you do this more than once in the same git tree you'll regret it :-)
("git send-email 0001-*" will happily retransmit all the old 0001-foo
patches along with the new one...) I use git-format-patch's -o option to
put my sent patches in a separate directory so they don't clutter up the
working tree.

> Please read also http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch.

I've updated the wiki page to mention git format-patch and git send-email.
Does anybody have a link to a decent short tutorial on how to use them?
If so, I think it would probably be helpful for us to put a link on the
SubmitAPatch page.

-- PMM