qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Add support for new image type

From: Kai Meyer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Add support for new image type
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 14:18:19 -0600

On 05/17/2012 01:43 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 17/05/2012 19:53, Kai Meyer ha scritto:
Morally it's wrong, but a copyright holder cannot stop you on
moral grounds.  Legally, you should consult a lawyer.
What you say is morally wrong here is a bit ambiguous to me. Do you
mean using modified versions of qemu internally at StorageCraft is
morally wrong?
No, it's fine.  Internally you can do whatever you want.

Or do you mean that a run-time linking version would not be in
violation of the GPL legally, but it would be morally wrong?
I cannot answer about the legal part; it's possible that it's legal but
anyway you should listen to a lawyer's opinion and not mine.

Anthony explained that, at least for him, it would be morally wrong.
Other people's mileage may vary.

Paolo
It's enough for us that prominent members of the qemu community (particularly copyright holders) consider it immoral. We'll simply avoid it entirely.

I think this will wrap things up for us quite nicely. Thanks again for all your help and patience.